Tuesday, March 1, 2011

All By Myself

I got back from Rome Sunday night and had to be on top of my game Monday morning. My teacher Julie was gone both Monday and Tuesday...so I was all by myself in charge of the kiddos. Everything went fine, it was just extra exhausting without Julie and I was extra exhausted from traveling. We also had the 100th day of school celebration on Wednesday when Julie got back.

The 100th day of school is probably the worst celebration of the school year. I had already learned this, and nothing about it this year changed my mind. The kids are all excited and amped up...but there's really nothing that's that excited. It's not like Christmas, where you too are giddy and happy because it's Christmas and you're about to get out for the holidays. The 100th day of school is just a landmark to remind you that even after 100 days of school, you're still not finished. But it was celebrated and for the most part, it was painless.

They made these 100-shaped glasses. Pepe (above) is not so sure.
Me helping José (below).

Other quotes from my students...not necessarily from this day, just in general.
"I don't can see." Translation= I can't see.

Teacher: What is the setting?
Student: It is the place that is the story.



They also brought bags of one hundred things.
Carmen brought pony tail holders.


Everyone with their bags.


Then we went to the playground and licked lollipops 100 times.
Again, Pepe is not too sure.


I came home to a mostly empty dorm all week. All the other students were on their spring break adventures. It was nice to have a kitchen/fridge to myself and to sleep without earplugs, but by the end of the week I was ready for them to return.

Our fallas at school are coming along. The next step after putting newspaper on is to put plain white paper over it.
The Chrysler building is looking a little floppy up top.


The Taj Mahal showed up at some point in the middle of the school.


The class can start painting it after it dries.


My students working on some other buildings of NYC.


Empire State Building (in front) and high school students trying to fix our floppy Chrysler in the back.


Starting to paint


One day while walking with 2 of the only girls in the building, we saw these cats asleep in a tree.
Do cats normally sleep in trees?


Saturday I woke up and decided I wanted to take a day trip by myself. I wanted to feel more independent and capable in traveling alone, even if it was only a small trip. I packed a bag of snacks and went to the train station with a destination in mind. When I asked for the ticket, the vendor said the train wouldn't leave for another 2 hours and I wouldn't arrive until 4 in the afternoon (it was 10:30 a.m. when she told me this). SO, I got out of line and looked at the train map. I saw the name "Sagunt" on one of the train lines and thought I remembered seeing that name in a Valencia travel book. But that's all I knew. So I got back in line and bought a ticket to Sagunto. It was not far...about 40 minutes on the train. I got off the train and just started walking. "What is there to do in Sagunto? Are there things to do in Sagunto?" When I was on the train, I had seen that Sagunto at least had a castle I could explore. Worst case scenario- I just get back on the train and go home. After walking for about 10 minutes, I saw a sign that said "Tourist Information." That's me.

After getting a map and some info, I walked out onto this plaza.

Just about every bench came with a cute set of old Spanish men.


Went to a church called "Ermita de Sangre"
Lots of bloody Jesus's




EWWW those knee caps!


The church was small and full of these floats. The floats parade around town at Easter.


Next, time to hit the castle.
I got to test out my camera self-picture feature on this trip.


On top of yet another castle





Castle and Roman theater


Roman theater up close


Another pretty church


High tech security system



Back in Valencia, things are getting ready for Fallas.


The official start of Fallas was Sunday, February 27 called the Cridá...which is an opening ceremony that took place right outside our building.
They had been setting up a giant stage in front of our towers all weekend and at 7:30 p.m. the streets filled with people. Someone gave a speech (I actually missed the first of the ceremony) and then there were fireworks (which I did NOT miss).


You will watch this video and not be impressed. Fireworks are one of those things that just don't have the same effect unless you see them in person. So you will have to take my word for it that Valencian fireworks are 100 times better than any other firework show. I have never seen fireworks like these before. And it's not just the visual aspect. It's the sound and proximity to them. The boom is so much more boomier. No, they are not coordinated with music or any of that fancy stuff...they are just better in a way you'd have to experience for yourself. And they set these off in the riverbed, which is lower than the street...we were literally right next to the fireworks. Plus, you can't beat a firework show right next to ancient towers.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot WAIT to hear Peg's impressions when she gets over there!

    ReplyDelete